Technical Services Manager
Rentokil North America Pest Control is seeking a Technical Services Manager (TSM) career position with our Western Exterminator Company Brand in the West region 31.
As a colleague of our Technical Department, this position will be responsible for developing technical expertise and service quality within their assigned region. The successful candidate will report to the Regional Technical Director, but will also work closely with the Corporate Training Manager, Corporate Quality Assurance Manager, Regional Director, and territory
Service Center Managers. The candidate will also work closely with Field Service Technicians to ensure quality standards, training guidelines, and technical knowledge remain current. The candidate will also periodically review and or conduct service quality assurance for our clients and facility audits of their assigned service centers.
In addition to these duties, the candidate will be responsible for conducting regional and service center technical meetings, one-on-one technician training, and to ensure that technician coaching and periodic review is completed properly within Service Centers. The person will also be responsible for assisting on challenging pest concerns or helping clients that require technical expertise such as pest identifications when needed.
Finally, this person will also participate and make presentations when opportunity presents itself for our corporate training academy, state and/or national industry meetings, as well as conduct meetings for our clients as an industry expert.
Job Requirements / Key Responsibilities
1. Identify insects submitted from service centers as well as provide information regarding biology & appropriate mitigation advice.
2. Verify coaching is being conducted and is of good quality through auditing of coaching paperwork and by field assessment of technicians within Service Centers.
3. Validate technician service quality and customer service skills through field assessments and regular review of training progress of newly hired technicians.
4. Verify quality of services being provided by technicians by reviewing Service Center Manager QA’s and conducting independent QA work in assigned offices.
5. Ensure consistency of Quality Assurance reporting between managers by conducting co-
inspections with Service Center, Regional, and/or Corporate Quality Assurance Manager.
6. Be the technical expert in challenging pest situations and help to develop action plans to provide solutions to control.
7. Provide assistance to ensure Service Centers implement and conduct effective training programs for newly hired technicians.
8. Monitor monthly technical meetings and provide guidance to ensure meetings are conducted professionally and are well run with good technician input. Work to develop the presentation skills of those managers who may benefit from this assistance.
9. Maintain relationships with state regulatory agencies to ensure we remain in compliance with respect to pesticide law within the states where you operate. Validate compliance within your Service Centers.
10. Serve as the regional technical expert for NAPC (North American Pest Control) when working with customers or prospective customers; this may include giving seminars to customers & prospective customers.
11. Prepare regular progress reports of the Service Centers within your assigned region(s).
Personal Performance / Core Competencies
Implement a comprehensive program of training and development of technical expertise within your assigned Service Centers that ensures we will continue to lead in this area within the pest control industry. Continue to focus on and resolve issues that affect service quality and ensure that we maintain the best relationships possible with our customers.
Have the ability to gather and make sense of large amounts of information and apply it to make business and customer focused decisions. Analyze problems thoroughly and make good and timely decisions.
Manage emotions to remain calm, focused and optimistic while dealing with a constant stream of demands. When required be able to make tough decisions.
Coach and Develop
Work with managers and technicians to implement technician training programs developed by Rentokil North America. Provide guidance along with fair and consistent feedback to technicians that have been coached in the field. Develop and improve the training, performance assessment, and technician development skills of Service Center Managers.
Work with Others
Build relationships with the Corporate Quality Assurance Manager, your Regional Manager(s), other Technical Services Managers, and Sales Managers in order to achieve our mission. Clearly establish priorities with respect to technical and training development within your Service Centers and keep managers regularly informed of progress and developments that impact them.
Be respected as an NAPC leader when working in your assigned Service Centers. Conduct
yourself with a high degree of integrity and recognize that the other colleagues in our
organization will take their lead from your actions. Hold yourself and our colleagues to the
1. A four year college degree in a biological science, such as Entomology is preferred, but not
2. A minimum 5 yrs. of related urban pest management experience required.
3. Travel up to 75% of the time within your assigned Service Centers.
4. Established proficiency in PowerPoint, Word, Excel, Outlook and other standard computer
5. Good public speaking, communication, and customer service skills required.
6. Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred but not required.
7. Be, or become proficient in: fumigation, termite control, weed control, and other applicable lines of business.
8. Be, or become a state certified applicator in the state of residence.
9. Be or become an Associate (ACE) or Board Certified Entomologist (BCE), or Registered Sanitarian (RS) within 1 year of being selected for the position.
10. Be familiar with local, state, &federal laws regarding pesticides as well as general familiarity with OSHA, FDA, EPA, USDA, and third party auditing agencies of the states where you work.
11. Maintain active membership in at least one state pest control association.